Friday, January 27, 2012

Downtown Pittsburgh Navigation Adventure









Before our little orienteering adventure throughout downtown Pittsburgh I had probably picked up a compass approximately 3 times in my life, but I never bothered to learn how to use one. Needless to say it was an interesting experience navigating my way from Point Park's campus to Point State Park and the North Shore using a compass. My group and I got off course a few times (mainly because we are kind of compass dumb) but we made it, sticking to the path set out for us.
I'm glad I now have some sort of idea on how to use a compass, even though I'm still not an expert at it, but I am sure that will come in handy someday...I hope.
Finding "nature" in downtown was a bit of a challenge. There is nature, but not a lot that proved to be interesting right away. This was a good exercise on finding ways to make visually boring things more interesting. It was definitely a challenge of creativity. I liked finding all the ways to juxtapose what nature there was with the urban surroundings, which made for some interesting pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment